When you pick up a book or your smartphone, do you need to stretch your arm and hold it further away from your eyes to see the words? When you go grocery shopping, do you need to take a step back from the shelves to read the ingredient lists? These are all signs of presbyopia – a common and normal age-related vision condition – which means it’s probably time to get reading glasses.
Blurry close vision is a clear sign to visit our friendly Burnaby, British Columbia, eye doctor, at Lucent Family Eye Care for an eye exam. We’ll check your sight for near and distance to prescribe the best eyeglasses to give you 20/20 vision.
Signs that you need reading glasses
- Over age 40 – while everyone’s eyes change at a different pace, most people develop presbyopia (a normal part of aging) in their forties. This common vision condition makes it hard for your eyes to focus on nearby objects.
- Computer work tires your eyes – do you experience fatigue and heavy eyelids when working at your computer or any type of detailed work? Untreated presbyopia can strain your eyes. In addition to blinking more and taking breaks to let your eyes rest, the right pair of bifocal/multifocal eyeglasses or reading glasses can boost your eye energy.
- Halos appear around lights – when your lens can’t focus light properly onto your retina, it can cause fuzzy vision, especially when looking at lightbulbs or headlights.
- You need brighter light to read – if you always feel that the room is too dim, it can also be a sign that you need reading glasses. Older people tend to need more light to achieve 20/20 vision.
- Headaches – straining your eyes can lead to headaches, especially the type of pain that you feel right behind your eyes. Painful vision is a sign that you need to visit our Burnaby, British Columbia, eye care center for an eye exam.
Still not sure you need reading glasses? Schedule a comprehensive eye exam!
Dr. Yee will check your vision and eye health thoroughly to issue your precise vision prescription for eyeglasses or reading glasses. We’ll also inspect the health of your eyes to make sure your symptoms aren’t due to another problem; such as eye disease. Remember, eyes and vision change with age, so regular follow-up eye exams are essential!
At Lucent Family Eye Care, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 604-332-4424 or book an appointment online to see one of our Burnaby eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!